Wednesday 1 June 2011

Christmas 2011 Snowflake #27


Is it June already? Wasn't it just New Year's? How time flies when you are enjoying yourself. Tatting that is. I think 27 snowflakes in 5 months is good progress. This is what I am refering to. Less than 7 months to Christmas.

So, continuing with the next snowflake from the Spitzen Kreationen book on pp 28, this was tatted in two rounds. Round 1 required 2m of Size 40 threads on the shuttle and Round 2 required 3m and 3.5m on Shuttle 1 and Shuttle 2 respectively. In case you are wondering, the small rings around the edge are not Josephine rings.

I am also contemplating getting this book - Tatting Artistry in Thread by Helma Siepmann but I wanted to get your frank comments if you have read it. Thanks so much.

7 comments:

  1. Never heard of that one.

    I had to look closely at this, Wendy, as I thought you had used a special ds. Must be the thread you used, as the tatting looks as if it has a uniform twist throughout. I forget what technique I am thinking about is called, but it twists every stitch for a special, bumpy effect.

    Lovely, as usual!
    Fox : )

    p.s. Hoping Umi is doing okay???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fox,

    Thanks for asking. Umi is doing fine. She now needs to get her appetite back.

    Yes, you are right, it must be the thread - La Primera Cotton Lace Yarn #40 (50g) from Japan but Made in Turkey. I bought it on sale in the clearance bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom's collection is going to be terrific. Does she know what you are doing?

    I love the effect of all those small rings around the outside of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been making some fabulous snowflakes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 1 of the Siepmann books, but have not worked any of it. gorgeous to look at though. If I wasn't working and had more time i would tackle some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Your snowflakes are making me want to learn how to tat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments.

    Eliz, No mom has no clue.

    Ladytats, Thank you for the comment on Helma Siepmann's book. I know what you mean with time.

    Yunna, tatting is very rewarding. It is inexpensive as all you need is a shuttle and a ball of thread. It is a hobby which you can easily bring along with you anywhere. Small motifs can be tatted up fast. Hope you will consider learning.

    ReplyDelete