Wednesday 4 May 2011

Birdcage MK #52



This Mary Konior pattern looked intimidating in the book (Tatting in Lace) but it isn't difficult to tat. The challenge is to get all the chains with the same stitch count in equal length. I love the look of this but . . . .


I did not like the connecting threads in the pattern for the centre motif. I could not get them all equal in length so I decided to use split rings. Changed the colours and it looks very different from the top photo.

I used Coats Size 40 in red and Milford Size 40 in black. It measures about 2.5 inches square.

Thank you Gina for the red Coats thread. I really love this shade of red.


4 comments:

  1. This is great. Of course, now I have to copy you and try it! Love it with the split rings even though at first glance I am not sure where you add them! It is a definite improvement in the design in my opinion.

    Also, the colour contrast is very pleasing. Nice work, Wendy! As usual.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're getting so much mileage out of that thread and that you enjoy it so much. I agree about the bare threads in motif 1. They tend to distract from the overall design. Love #2 with the split rings and two colors. The contrast really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fox and Gina. Now looking at it, even the split rings are not good enough. I think it could be further improved on.

    Fox, do try it. I tried to leave a comment on your latest post but could not. I would love to see you tat the birdcage in your favourite colours.

    Gina, I love the Coats red thread. I have not found another shade of red which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting design! I love the look and your colors! :)

    ReplyDelete