Tuesday 13 November 2012

Deepavali and Claypot Rice


Today is a public holiday to celebrate Deepavali. This is the scene in little India with the street decor and lights up. We were there on Sunday morning but in the night it would look even more colourful.

So today I decided to cook claypot rice. My claypot has been used to cook stews and porridge and I have burnt it more than once. I remember my grandmother told me that once the pot is burnt, everything else you cook will also get stuck to the bottom of the pot and chars. Well, I think it is true!! Anyway I decided to use the claypot anyway and cook this. Claypot rice seems to taste better with a little char.


My version is simple - marinate for a few hours, the chicken pieces in soya sauce, dark soya sauce, sesame oil, fresh ginger and garlic. Put some oil in the claypot, fry some ginger slices, minced garlic, sliced Chinese sausage and add the marinated chicken. Cook for a few minutes before adding washed rice. Stir and add chicken stock. Boil until all stock has been absorbed (~15 mins), lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes with lid on. Garnish with spring onions and fried shallots. It is normally served with sliced red chilli but I did not have any today. For a more comprehensive recipe, link here.

2 comments:

  1. You have made me feel hungry, looks lovely.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks great. Was in little India in June, how pretty with all the decorations up

    ReplyDelete