Sunday 6 July 2008

Different size threads for tatting

I have always used size 20, 30 or Perle 8 threads for tatting. When I saw the hand dyed threads on Etsy, I wanted to try them out. I got a Size 100 silk thread with a few Size 80 cotton threads. The brown one on the left is tatted with Perle 8 (DMC #111), the middle row is tatted with Size 80 cotton (Tutti Frutti, Shades of Gray and Vikies Lilacs) and the one on the right is tatted with Size 100 silk (Hydrangea). I love how the picots form with Size 80 and the delicate texture. Size 100 is more difficult to tat with as the stitches are really tiny and when you have to unpick, it takes ages.

6 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous post! I love seeing the thread size comparisons! You've done VERY well with the size 100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherry. I've been thinking of your threads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the joy of size 80 hand dyed thread. I must warn you though that it is very addictive. Once you use the above thread and see the colourful, lacy results that you get it is almost impossible to go back to the old thread you where using. But I don't think that is such a bad thing. Enjoy the finer thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clyde. I peeped at your blog and was amazed at your doilies. It is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I love size 80 thread, too. It's always fun to do something in different sizes even if it is just to see the difference. Sometimes doing something in a larger size is fun, but I always love the look and feel of tatting in the tinier threads. Lucky you to have some size 100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome tattingchic, I'm going to try to tat something else with the size 100 thread. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete